The museum curators at Landis Valley Village & Farm Museum often enhance the collection with new additions:
A molding plane, c. 1855-1865, stamped "D.F. Landis" on the heel and toe became part of the landis Valley collection in April, 2014. A molding plane is a plane that has blades to form wooden moldings. A traditional cabinetmaker's shop would have had a number of molding planes available to perform a range of work.
D.F. Landis, or David F. Landis (July 4, 1835 - April 2, 1901) was the original owner of the plane now in Landis Valley's collection. Landis, one of ten siblings, husband of Mary (Ressler) Landis, and father of a son and daughter, was a carpenter by trade and worked in Bachman & Dehugg's planing mill in Columbia until 1886. He then worked as a foreman in B. F. Hiestand's planing mill in Marietta.
His family descends from Manheim Township, Lancaster County. His great-grandfather, "Hill" John Landis, owned a farm lying on the south side of a hill, about a 1/2 mile south of Fiddler's Green (now known as Neffsville), and his family thereafter became known as the "Hill" family. David's son, John, was a railroad man on the Pennsylvania Railroad between Columbia and Philadelphia. David F. Landis is buried in the Landis Valley Christian Fellowship Cemetery, which is adjacent to the museum.
A well-known artist, known as the "Cross-Legged Angel Artist," created this bookmark. The "Cross-Legged Angel Artist" has yet to be identified, despite a recognizable body of work.
Although other fraktur artists have also used similar motifs, the "Cross-legged Angel Artist's" work is distinguishable by the style used. This artist created a number of birth and baptismal certificates from 1790-1815 with an angel at the top center of the document. The angel is always in flight, with one leg crossed over the other at the ankles. The artist often favored a horizontal rectangular format divided into distinct sections by patterned borders. Brown, green, yellow, and orange were often used in the work, which was primarily completed in northeastern Lancaster County and Berks County.